Some word of mouth history was passed down through the community but officially recognition came with the chartering of the June Lake Fire Protection District on July 19, 1939.
June Lake’s first fire engine was believed to have been a 1924 Ford Model TT made by General Manufacturing Company of Saint Louis, Missouri (identification from the photo on page 28 of Horseshoe Canyon by Betty Bean). It is unknown when this engine was purchased but it was apparently not in service on May 19, 1939 when June Lake experienced its first major fire which fanned by high winds destroyed two stores, several other buildings, killed one man and injured six others.
This fire was fought with garden hoses and hand extinguishers. In May 1940 the first town water system was constructed complete with hydrants. The Fire District invested $11,000.00 and the remainder was paid for by the U.S. Forest Service.
The second June Lake Fire Engine was a 1930’s vintage Moreland which was originally owned by the California Division of Forestry. This engine apparently came into service in the late 1940’s.
The first brand new engine was purchased from the Boardman Company in 1961 (pictured above). Other second hand engines were in service over the years; then a second new unit was purchased in 1970. This Chevrolet pickup was equipped with a 125 tank and small pump and was first out until purchase of mini-pumper from Pierce in 1976. Engine #6 was purchased in 1982, a water-tender in 1984. Old Engine #7 was acquired from Los Angeles County Fire Department in 1985 and Rescue 8 was acquired in 1993.
The original fire station was built in the 1940’s and was added onto in 1963 and again in 1993.
Currently we have a much more updated fleet. In 2007ish, we constructed a second station in the "Down Canyon" are of June Lake. This Station 2 houses our 2017 Toyne 3,000 gallon Water Tender, our 2008 HME Engine (3432). Station 1 has a 1994 65' Spartan Aerial Ladder Truck, a 2008 HME Engine, 2005 Ford F550 Rescue and our newest Type 3 Engine 3434.